Electrical power surges are one of the most common electrical issues to occur in the home and the workplace. Yet not everyone can safely say they know what they are, what they mean, let alone how to prevent them.
Don’t worry – below we will aim to enlighten you on the causes of electrical power surges and most importantly, how to prevent them to keep your business safe and electrically enhanced.
So, want to know more about electrical power surges and how to prevent them?
Find out with the Perth electrical contractors at Wacomm.
An electrical power surge defined
Essentially, an electrical power surge refers to a spike in the electrical charge at some spot in the power grid. From this spike comes an increase in electrical potential energy, which in turn leads to an electrical current boost flowing to your usual wall outlets.
When there’s an electrical power surge with large voltage spikes, this can very well cause damage, danger, and worst-case scenario – an electrical fire!
Let’s take you through the common causes of an electrical power surge.
In focus: the common causes of an electrical power surge
Now you know what the common causes of an electrical power surge are, it’s time to see how and why they are commonly caused.
What are they?
- An electrical overload where a single circuit uses a large amount of power, leading to a power surge. In conjunction with this event, a tripped circuit breaker may also occur.
- The aftermath of a blackout or unexpected power outage causing a sudden jump in current when the power switches back on.
- Branches (or even entire trees) falling onto overhead power lines, creating a power surge in your home.
- Faulty wiring or old and weathered electrical appliances because damaged wiring offers little resistance, meaning plenty of conducive materials have the potential to spike the wire current.
- Lightning strikes – not all too common but still a possibility.
- When an electrical utility company switches off your power grid as part of regular maintenance work.
If any of the above causes are impacting your business operations and you need professional electrical assistance fast, trust in your commercial electrician in Perth.
Is there anything you can do to prevent electrical power surges?
Yes! There definitely are things you can put in place at home and at work to prevent electrical power surges from happening.
What are they?
- Unplug electrical devices and appliances that are not in use
- Upgrade any old and/or faulty wiring
- Consider installing surge protectors, or better yet, install specialised electrical outlets that will provide protection against a potential power surge. How do they work? By blocking excess voltage from reaching your electrical devices and appliances in the event of a power surge event.
Wacomm are here to help
You can rely on the Wacomm team of Perth electrical contractors for comprehensive electrical services to keep everyone who frequents your business safe.
Looking for a reliable commercial electrical contractor in Perth?
Contact Wacomm today for the commercial and industrial electrical services you need to enhance your business.